Thursday, April 1, 2010

I was once your father, now I am your brother...

Amy and I are in a position where we feel that our family tree won't be a branch but a little sapling whose roots are bound up with the roots of the larger tree everyone else will be constructing.

I hope we're wrong.

We've had great help from those who are still actively teaching/living in our quest to connect our prof. with the ancients.

But we're dealing with linguists here. We got Dr. (Ted) Taylor. If we can connect somewhere around Claude Levi-Strauss or Ferdinand de Saussure, we'll be in luck. Until then, we'll probably meet you all around Horace/Virgil or Dionysius Thrax. Hope to see you all at MIT w/ our pal, Noam Chomsky (PhD in '55 at the University of Pennsylvania)!

Considering my role in all of this (some 4-5 slots away from Chomsky, maybe 4 away from Henry Sweet) makes me realize the scope of ideas. We all may have access to the findings of the folks we're researching (JSTOR, etc.) but this project is showing me how we can all be influenced by the more intimate elements of a student/teacher relationship that developed when we may not have even been alive.

-Andy

2 comments:

  1. I was a little worried with your title there...thought you found some people at the University of Kentucky!

    ReplyDelete